12/1/08

Colorful Friendship

At least that's what "friends with benefits" are called in Brazil. I think it's a good description -- you have a colorful friendship.

At the beginning of the year, I wrote about this guy, who contacted me out of nowhere, after almost 2 years without seeing each other. We made plans to meet but they always fell through -- mostly my fault, as I found better things to do. Plus, after meeting bedroom set guy, I was no longer on a dry spell.

We tried making plans again during the summer, but again, none of us were that great at following through our promises. After having my parents in town, then going off to my trip to Spain & Greece, I was very busy on my side of things.

Saturday, while bumming at home, I got a text from him, asking what I was up to that night. Well, I was going to karaoke with my friends. He replied that he loves karaoke, so I extended an invite to him. Could he stay over at my place? He was fine crashing on my couch. Sure, why not? (He does live in Richmond, after all.)

I wasn't sure if he was going to show up, but soon after singing my first song, he walks in the door. I recognized him right away. Sure he had changed, aged a bit (he is now 33 -- so at least the age matches what he had told me back then). He also no longer had his 6 pack abs, but was still, as my friend described him, "delicious."

We had a great night, it was good to be the center of attention for a change. To have a boy flirting with me, and having a bit of a snog at the end of the night.

Him crashing at my place turned into spending all Sunday together. We watched movies, then went out for Pho soup and Bubble Tea.

I mentioned how I used to find him very shady... He has, this time, shown me his ID. Said that while living with his grandmother, he really had to get back every night, because if something happened to her, he would not forgive himself (she is now in a home, after living with his mother for a while). He said that he wasn't dating anyone else while we were going out.
"Really? I always assumed you were hiding something, like a girlfriend, or maybe a wife and kids. I never heard from you on weekends!"
"Well, I never said I was a good boyfriend, but yeah, I wasn't seeing anyone else."

There was a lot of talk of "next time I see you" and of "when you come down to Richmond" from him. However, I don't know if there will be a next time. I had a great time, but there's still no potential there for a real relationship. Yep, I can have fun while it lasts, but I want more, and I definitely don't want more from him. He was more into me than I was into him, as if 3 years hadn't gone by.

I mentioned before how I need someone who is very affectionate. He was very affectionate, but there's no connection there for that affection... For me, it was out of place, an intimacy I could not relate to.

And the whole time? I was thinking of the Scottish guy, you know, the one who canceled last minute on me again? The one I was wondering if there were any sparks? So I ended up going out with him again last week. And again had a wonderful time. And still don't know if there are any sparks there (3 dates and STILL no kiss!), but I'm starting to think there might be. And I haven't been able to stop thinking about him. And yes, he works a lot, and he might piss me off again with these stupid cancellations, but as per my friends' persistence, giving him the benefit of the doubt -- it is a new job for him after all... He ended the date with a "see you next week, that is, if you're up for going out again?" I told him I was definitely up for it. He was out of the country this weekend, and haven't heard back from him, but I have no doubt now that I will.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

rachaelgking said...

I get the deets in person now! Yessss